Saturday, August 1, 2009

Not such a huge bang


The one weekend I decide to take for myself, is of course the biggest day for MLB during the "down months." This day I ofically deemed the "Hunt for Blue Doc-tober," in light of the Roy Halladay banter (Yes, I know I'm a huge loser). Anyways, thanks to ESPN text message update alerts, it was like I never left my computer lets run over some of the winners and losers of the 2009 MLB trade deadline frenzy.

WINNERS:

Boston Red Sox- Either they have some criminal master mind in the front office calling all the shots or Theo Epstein is the best thing for the team since...well ever . Trading away several young prospects, mainly Justin Masterson (who will, mark my words, be an 18 game winner with time). But in return they picked up Victor Martinez, an important gap is filled with a big bat in the middle of the line-up and a catcher that can throw the ball to second without me cringing every time I watch. Also the Sox picked up Casey Kotchman for Adam LaRoche, straight up. I mean they are pretty much interchangeable hitters, but a drastic improvement in the field, not that I see the mighty Casey starting anytime soon, with the plethora of first basemen the Sox have on their roster.

Chicago White Sox- Wow, Peavy?? Pretty nice, lets just set up his locker and get his jersey ready...oh wait, he's injured?!? What the hell San Diego?! You told me he's good to go for a start next week!! This, of course, is an imaginary conversation that Sox GM Ken Williams has with the Padres. But this is actually huge for the Sox, they need that end of the season boost if they are going to hang with the Red hot Tigers into the fall.

Philadelphia Phillies
- Cliff Lee's resurgence from last year has been remarkable, from pitching in AAA ball all they way to 20 wins and a Cy Young. But the real story now is how is going to survive in the NL East? The Phillies fought hard for Halladay but in the end didn't want to give up too much potential for possibly another World Series. Seems kind of silly no? Well they held to their young talent and got a Cy Young winner, who will most likely propel them deep into the Fall. This is especially true if Pedro Martinez comes back strong and if he keeps pitching well in his rehab assignment. Nice job Philly.

Florida Marlins
- I'm really going out on a limb here in putting my faith into Nick Johnson, who I despise, but respect in a sense. He is an amazingly patient hitter and sees a ton of pitches and he is having a career season, on pace to hit more than 10 more RBIs and is flirting with batting .300. "OK," you may say, "He seems like a pretty mediocre player, why all the love?" Well I call this the Nationals effect, anyone who can put up big numbers on such a crappy team gets my respect (I put Ryan Zimmerman way up on my third basemen list for this reason). This trade may work out real well for the Marlin or just may crash and burn.

LOSER(S):

Cleveland Indians- If you've read the winners you'll understand why I don't have to justify this.

Pittsburgh Pirates
- I mean cooooooome ooooonnnnn. First off, you are on pace to have the longest string of losing seasons, 17. Not just in baseball, mind you, but in all of sports. Then you go off and trade the potential face of the franchise, Nate McLouth, for prospects. Then you think "Ok we can build up from here." Then POOF it's gone in a heartbeat, all of it. Sanchez, Wilson, Morgan and list goes on and on. My theory on the Buccos: The antitrust laws and anti monopolization laws created in the late 19th century are reflected to sports as well, if you have two championship caliber sports teams, the other two have to be mediocre and if you only have one other it has to be the laughing stock of the league. But hey, thanks for J Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment