Thursday, September 17, 2009

Marquez v. Mayweather


I don't claim to be a boxing expert by any means. I absolutely love the earlier era of boxing, meaning the 50's-80's, guys like Sonny Liston, Joe Fraizer, George Foreman and one of my top 5 favorite athletes Muhammad "Don't call me Cassius" Ali. I can watch old fights from those guys forever( possibly the fight of the century, the Thrilla in Manilla). Over the past half-century, boxing has become somewhat of a back burner sport to American main stream sports: football, baseball, basketball, etc. Even more so recently with MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) and UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship), boxing has been on the steady decline.

As an above average sports fan I can't name a single heavy-weight boxer, but there are old timers that remember exactly where they were when Ali took down Liston within the first minute with his infamous lightning punch. Sure, I know Manny Pacquaio Floyd Mayweather and many other light-weight stature boxers. All I am trying to say is where will boxing be in 15-20 years? Hopefully, back at the top.

Anyways now that I've gotten that rant off my chest, I want to discuss and give my predictions for the big fight that is coming up in less than 48 hours: Juan Manuel Marquez v. Floyd Mayweather. I'll set the scene a little bit for those who don't know about these guys.
This is Marquez's first fight as a Welterweight. However, this is Mayweather's first fight since his second "retirement," after beating Oscar De La Hoya to retain the WBC Welterweight belt. He remained retired for roughly 16 months, until the announcing of this fight. Marquez has been beaten only 4 times in 55 fights, while Mayweather is still undefeated in 39 bouts.

PREDICTION: Marquez in 12.

With my little knowledge of boxing and the fundamentals, I'm going to have to go with the man with all of the training. Mayweather is suffering with some personal issues, his uncle and trainer had a recent run in with the law, that can take a toll on anyone's mental state. I do believe it will be a close fight, lasting all 12 rounds, landing in the hands of the judges in the end. How can I not pick the guy who drinks his own urine? That right there is the definition of though.

*For more on the ESPN did a great piece on the fight and broke it down. HERE*

No comments:

Post a Comment